Giving is as old as the creation of man, at least. We see how God gave His breath to man for man to become a living soul. God gave us what money can’t buy. Giving financially is in no way compared to what He has given to us. Everything we will ever give is always lesser than what God has given us in the past and will yet give us in the future. Therefore, we can never outgive God.
The importance of giving offerings in church should be emphasized to help people know how this kingdom of God works. The growth and expansion we are seeing in the works of ministry around the world are not just indications that God is reviving His church but also that people have faithful and committed to the divine assignment.
The financial giving of people has made the gospel travel far beyond races, cultures, and continents. We help the work of God to prosper in the hands of the frontiers of the kingdom when we are committed to giving in the house of God. Money is a tool, not a destination. You will learn a lot about giving as you read further.
Spiritual Meaning of Giving
You might have heard the saying that life is spiritual. Yes, life is spiritual and so is giving. When you give, it is not a physical exercise that has little or no spiritual effect. It is more spiritual than physical. Until you get the spiritual meaning of giving very correctly, you will not get the blessings that accompany it.
The spiritual meaning of giving is defined as the process of laying up treasures in heaven by giving to the furtherance of God’s kingdom and works on earth. Every act of giving on earth is recorded in heaven for your good as long as you are doing it from your heart. Every Christian should know the importance of giving offering in church
Also, the spiritual meaning of giving is that you have the privilege of surrendering your all to Jesus. He gave you all you have materially. By giving to Him you are expressing your trust, love, and commitment to Him and His assignments for us who are saved by grace.
The next time you are opportune to give, remember that it is an act that is more spiritual than physical. God is watching to see the way you approach Him in your giving. When you give with all your heart and abundantly as He has blessed you, your spiritual reward will not be less than what it should be.
What is Christian Giving
Though we are still in this world, we are not of this world. Christians are the children of God who have given their lives to Jesus. We are not sinners who are still living in sin that came as a result of the fall of Adam.
The father gave the son for us to be free. Jesus gave us access to the Father for us to have a relationship. The whole of Christianity is born from giving and is practiced by giving. You can’t live a successful Christian life without being a giver. It’s impossible!
So, what is Christian giving? Christian giving is the way we imitate Christ by giving our time, money, energy, and other resources for the betterment of others and the glory of God. This giving comes from the place of love for God and humanity.
We could see that Jesus Christ loved God the Father and was loyal to Him. He also loved the people and that made it possible for Him to reconcile us to the Father. From the beginning of His ministry on earth till the end, He kept giving. He lived an exemplary life to simplify Christianity.
Benefits of Giving to the Man of God
We don’t see God physically but we can see Him through the people who walk closely with Him. A man of God is one that God uses to bless His people. Giving to a man of God is giving to God. If you see it that way, your giving will bless you.
You can’t give to God and not be blessed. And when you give to God constantly, your blessing will overtake you such that you will not have rooms to receive it.
2. Spiritual Authority
Life is spiritual. The man of God is appointed by God and given authority for signs and wonders beyond the regular. Giving to a man of God shows you recognize God’s delegated authority over your life. In recognizing the authority of God in human form over your life, you are defended spiritually.
Your man of God can stand to correct or cancel abnormalities in your life through your giving. As a spiritual authority, he can enforce your privileges in Christ.
3. The Anointed
Anointing still breaks yokes. There is nothing old fashion about this truth. Time and dispensation have not changed it. If you honor the anointed, you will get the type of blessings that money or connections can’t buy.
There are a lot of things that money can’t afford. There is nothing the anointing can not provide in your life. Your giving to a man of God will make the anointing of God on his life work for you. Therefore, giving remains the best way to contact the anointing you desire.
4. You Can Have A Replica Of His Grace
As you give to the man of God constantly and follow his teachings, the same grace that works for him will start finding expressions in your life. God will start working in your life with the same grace that he has.
Even if you are a business person. God will make that grace available in your life and it will cause your business to grow. Giving is the best thing to do always.
5. Divine Help
Giving can lift you from a start of hopelessness and helplessness to a level of abundance of everything you need to fulfill your purpose on earth. This is not to be taken lightly. God is still in the business of helping people rise.
Giving to a man of God opens doors for you. Remember, a man of God is a delegated spiritual authority. Giving to him can help you access spiritual realities that were difficult to attain through your efforts.
Related thought: prayers for pastors and leaders
Spiritual Benefit of Giving
1. Growth In Prayer Life
Giving can open you up to a more effective prayer life. It would take enforcing your reality to have them materialize. Knowing that you gave is not enough. Praying through it is going to clear the air for your glory to manifest.
2. Growth in Authority
Your giving can lift you higher spiritually. God is very much interested in the spiritual growth of every one of us. He wants us to constantly rise and take our place in Him. As you give, you will become more authoritative in your faith.
3. Growth in Revelation
This is a powerful benefit amongst others. Giving when done correctly open you up for the revelation you need for your next season of greatness and increase.
4. Alignment with God
You are not advancing if you’re not in alignment with God. Every progress made outside of God is nothing compared to what can become of your life when you are aligned with God. Giving brings divine order into your life.
5. Increase in Angelic Activities
Angels are ministering spirits sent forth to minister to those who are heirs of salvation. Angelic activities over your life can increase through your giving.
Related thought: quotes about sharing and giving
Benefits of Giving to the Needy
1. You Are Lending To God
Those who give to the poor are lending to God. That is a fact based on the word of God. One thing is sure, you can’t lend to God and not be rewarded. God does not owe without paying. As you give to the power, you are sowing seeds that God will give you the harvest of.
2. You Will Keep Rising
For every faith-based giving, you rise above the level you were standing on. Constant giving to the needy takes you away from being needy yourself. You will rise above what you give out as you do it faithfully.
3. You Are Fulfilling Your Purpose
The fulfillment of purpose is a gradual process. The more you give, the more you accomplish the plans of God over your life.
4. You Are Making Life Easy For People
People need financial help to meet their needs. As you give to the needy, they will be able to do things and move from one level to another.
5. You Are Building Their Faith In God
When people who are needy pray for help and get what they requested, their faith is strengthened. Every time you give, you are an answer to prayers. If you have always wanted God to use you to bless people. Give to the needy. Your kindness will help their faith grow.
Advantages of Giving
1. You Will Be Joyful
Joy comes from within. Giving from the depth of your heart produces a joy that quickens the soul of a man. Your joy will spring up even in the midst of what looks like bad news as you keep giving.
2. You Will Feel Useful
There is nothing as bad as feeling useless in life. Giving cures that efficiently. Suddenly you will start seeing a good reason to live and make others happy in the process.
3. You Become A Contributor
It is so easy not to be a part of those who make things work. However, you can be different. By giving, you contribute to the expansion of God’s work on earth in individuals and organizations.
4. You Will Manage Resources
Knowing that there are people who need what you have can help you give proper value to the things God has blessed you with.
What are the Benefits of Giving Biblically
1. Opportunity to Worship
Worshipping God entails giving to Him. You can’t say you are worshipping with all your heart if you are not giving to Him your material substances. Giving is a form of worship that God recognizes. This is an opportunity you must not miss.
2. To Get God To Work For You
God is interested in what you’re giving to Him. He is blessing you and He knows your capacity. The more you honor Him with your good seeds, the more He opens the right doors for you.
3. To Bless People
If people are not benefitting from the blessings of God over their life then something is not right. One of the benefits of giving scripturally is that others will be blessed by you.
4. Kingdom Advancement
The gospel travels to continents, nations, states, and cities through the giving of numerous people. The more you give, the more the gospel is heard and Jesus is glorified.
Related thought: prayer for pastor strength
Importance Of Giving Offering In Church Scripture
1. “Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again” ( Luke.6.38).
2. “But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly, and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully. Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work” (2 Cor.9.6-8).
3. “Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting” (Gal.6.7-8).
4. Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the LORD of hosts. And all nations shall call you blessed: for ye shall be a delightsome land, saith the LORD of hosts. (Mal.3.10-12)
5. And the LORD smelled a sweet savor, and the LORD said in his heart, I will not again curse the ground any more for man’s sake; for the imagination of man’s heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every thing living, as I have done.
6. Gen.8.22 – While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease (Gen.8.21-22).
7. “There is that scattereth, and yet increaseth; and there is that withholdeth more than is meet, but it tendeth to poverty. The liberal soul shall be made fat: and he that watereth shall be watered also himself”. (Prov.11.24-25).
8. “Cast thy bread upon the waters: for thou shalt find it after many days”( Eccl.11.1)